Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Recipezaar Recipes

I am always looking for new recipes to try out on my family. I frequent Recipezaar.com, and usually find what I am looking for. I only come across a truly excellent recipe once in a while, the rest seem to be just mediocre, or nothing spectacular, but they are edible.

This is one of the recipes I found to be exceptional, with a couple of tweaks for my own tastes!

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham (link to original recipe- has nutritional facts)

1/2 cp. butter
1/2 cp. flour ( I uses whole wheat flour)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper ( I used about 1 tsp.)
3 cps. milk ( I used skim)
3 cps. ham cubed and cooked
1 lg. green pepper ( I used about 1/4 of one chopped finely)
1 lg. onion ( I used about 1/4 of one chopped finely)
1/2 cp. cheddar cheese ( I like cheese so I used about a cup)
5 cps. potatoes pared and sliced ( I used red potatoes, and left the skins on)


Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat, blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 min. Remove from heat, gradually stir in milk. Return to heat, cook until thickened and bubbly. Fold in ham, onion, green pepper, and cheese. Pour over potatoes in a large bowl. Stir gently then move into a buttered 13x4 inch baking dish(I used an oblong baking dish), cover with foil. Bake at 350* for 30 min. Uncover and continue for 1 more hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

I baked for 1 hour covered, then took foil off for about 15 min. to brown top. I'm sure everyones oven varies.

Serves 8
Enjoy!

0 comments:

:a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

Post a Comment